Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Artisan Bread in a Flash...?


Look at that thing of beauty...
Do you like crusty, chewy, salty, yummy?
Think Panera bread on steroids.
Its that good, I wouldn't lie to you ;)
(Adapted from Jim Lahey's recipe)

p.s....if you are just reading this today, please note that you won't have bread...today.
its got to sit overnight, so its not so flashy.  haha
The only flash part is that it takes literally 30 seconds to stir up, then you wait.
I hate wait.

In a large mixing bowl combine:

- 3 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. yeast (kinda heaping, at least make it a generous 1/2 tsp.)
- 1 2/3 - 1 3/4 c. warm water

Stir to combine, it should look kinda wet and shaggy, like a dog that's been out in the rain.
Ok, not like that.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for about 14-16 hours.
It will get all bubbly and rise a bit, too.
Dump the dough out onto a piece of parchment that has been floured sufficiently.
Fold in the four corners to the center.
What corners, you say?
There are no corners, but pretend there are.
Lift the parchment paper with the dough on it and set it down into a mixing bowl.
Cover again and leave it for 2 hours.
(At this point, feel free to top the dough with salt or seeds or nuts or sprinkles, whatever floats your boat)

Got a dutch oven?
No, quick!  Go get one!
Mine is one of those ceramic over cast iron dealios.
Make sure that the whole thing including the lid can take high heat, like 450*F.

30 minutes before your 2 hr. rising time is up turn on your oven to 450* with the dutch oven and lid in it.
After 30 minutes or so, the pot will be sufficiently hot, remove it from the oven and pick up your bread dough by lifting the corners of the parchment paper and lowering it down into the hot pot, parchment paper and all.
Top it off with the lid and put it back into the hot oven.
Let it bake for 30 minutes with the lid on, then remove the lid and bake an additional 10.

Be careful as you remove it from the oven.
And for goodness sake, let it cool off a bit before you dig into it.
Or don't, whatever man, Im not your mom.



11 comments:

Camilla Swan said...

That looks so delicious that I'm going to make one straight away!

Carissa said...

This looks delish and it's a method I've never tried so I'm excited to give it a try! My only qualm is how can you can it artisan bread in a flash when once of the steps is to wait 16 hours?? Haha! Oh well, trying it anyway... looks amazing!

Noshings said...

You know, I thought about that after I posted the recipe lol
so I added a "?" and a post script.
it is amazing tho...you wont even mind the not-flashy part ;)

thanks to the both of you for stopping by!

Camilla Swan said...

I've literally just taken it out of the oven. It looks fabulous and the house smells amazing! I sprinkled sesame seeds instead of sea salt.

Easiest bread I've ever baked!

Noshings said...

me too!
you're gonna love it =)

Heather said...

I love love love delayed no knead overnight bread!

Jessica said...

I just made this and it's the best...bread...ever. Thank you so much!

Karen Martinez said...

Ah! I hope you go back blogging about food! I just found this and after staring at the photos in this post for the longest time - I immediately started mixing the ingredients together. The next day, I was completely swooning over this bread as I pulled it out of the oven. I love sourdough bread the best but this bread is my new favorite! I was really floored and am planning to make it all the time this fall/winter. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

Noshings said...

Thank you so much, Karen, I'm thrilled you liked the bread! I do hope to get back to blogging soon, usually wintertime gets me motivated. But, I hope to start long before that... I'm such a slacker >.<

Karen Martinez said...

Yes, you definitely should! I look forward to it. I just made a second loaf, it went into the oven about 20 minutes ago. Twice in a week - it's already become my go-to bread and probably what I'll make for people as Christmas gifts this year. I'm a blogger too so I'll be happy to share this on my blog since I haven't posted in awhile. I'll link and credit it back to you of course. Thanks again! -Karen (birdandfox.com)

Noshings said...

Thanks Karen!
I will have to check your blog out, Im kind of a blog junkie... =)
There is a bowl of this bread dough on my counter that I started last night, Ive got some special plans for it. I will have to blog that after class ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails