Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hazelnut Biscotti


You've tried black walnut, you've had pecan, pistachio and almond, but there ain't no nut that's got anything over the hazelnut!

let's do this thing:

~1/4 c. butter, unsalted, room temp. (1/2 stick)
~3/4 c. sugar
~1/2 tsp. salt
~1 tsp. vanilla

mix well, then add:

~1 whole lg. egg
~1 lg. egg white

mix again, then add:
~2 cups flour
~1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
~3/4 cups chopped hazelnuts

mix until a dough forms
*if its really sticky, add up to a few more tablespoons of flour until the dough is slightly sticky, but handleable.  Handleable?  Is that even a word?
I didn't need any extra flour today, maybe because its so dry, humidity-wise.

Form into a long log about 3/4 inch high, 2 1/2 - 3 inches wide and probably 15 inches long.

Brush the top of the log with yet another egg white, beaten.
Bake in a preheated 350*F oven for 30 - 35 minutes.
Remove from oven and after only a couple minutes gently lift the log off the pan and onto a cutting surface.
With a large knife, cut into bars about 1/2 inch thick (mine were a little thicker, its up to you) with one swift chop down, just like you would cut through celery.

Place the bars cut side up back onto the cookie sheet and return to the oven.
Turn temp down to 325*F and bake for 20 more minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool.

These little guys are so good, crunchy and not overly sweet, no icing or chocolate drizzle required.
But, if you have to...I won't hold it against you.

*Make sure you cool them completely before storing or they won't stay crunchy.

12 comments:

Laurie and company said...

beautiful biscotti!
so nice to see you today...I could stand and talk to you forever...sorry if we kept your amigos waiting! they've got to know you are just too amazing to talk to.

you are a breath of fresh air and a blessing.
Hugs,
Laurie

Laurie and company said...

oh yeah, I did my hair after you left and I looked much more presentable...maybe someday I will actually see you when this is the case and you won't worry that I'm not into self-care...hee heee.

you are gorgeous. just thought you should be aware of that.

Noshings said...

aww,thanks chica
you are waaaaay too kind, Laurie!
it was great seeing you guys again, too.
hope you are staying warm and toasty.
I don't think it should be allowed to be 0 degrees, that's not even fair at all =/

Mary said...

Ohhh yum! This sounds divine!!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xx
Delightful Bitefuls

Peggy said...

This biscotti looks gorgeous! I love hazelnut anything!

Eva said...

Indeed! Hazelnuts are the best( :

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Totally agree! Nothing could beat biscotti!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Oh how I wish I had a couple to dip in my coffee right now! They look fantastic!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver said...

Oh how I love a good biscotti, not too dry, not too teeth breaking like some prepackaged ones can be. The best, and with Hazelnuts to boot? Hecks to the Yes!

Can't wait to try these. All the best, ~Megan

Amy said...

Hey, I found your blog through foodgawker and borrowed your recipe! I kicked it up a notch with some semi sweet chocolate- YUM...really great! Thanks for sharing- I´ve linked back to you through my blog post!
All the best, Amy in Norway :-)

Heather R. said...

I made these this afternoon and they are DELICIOUS! Thank you for sharing!

Marcela said...

Noshings, I made these today and they turned out beautifully. I did drizzle them with brown butter icing for the kiddies needed more sweetness but they are fine w/o. Thanks for the easy tasty recipe! Now for my coffee.......

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails