Friday, January 7, 2011

Screen Printing your own T shirts with Freezer Paper

You've probably seen this sprinkled around the web on various blogs and how-to sites.
But, Meg and I thought we'd try our hand at it.
What's so nice about this project is, you can make just about any image you want (depending on what you want to tackle), its cheap and even kids can get involved.
Come along for the ride, there are tons of photos to help you if you decide to make your own t shirt.

What you'll need...

~freezer paper (not wax paper or parchment) cut into 8.5x11" to fit into your printer
~fabric paint (got mine at Joann's Fabric store, they were 50% off...woo!)
~foam brushes or paint brushes
~cardboard
~X-acto knife

for the first step, you'll need to find an image you'd like to use.
I found an image of Gir.
Don't know Gir?  Ask your kids!  =)
I printed him out onto the paper side of the freezer paper (NOT the wax side)
This may take some experimenting to find out how your printer feeds and prints on paper.

With an X acto knife, cut out the part of the image that you want to become the painted part...in a sense, turn it into a stencil.  I did this on top of a self-healing cutting mat.  Here's Gir, all cut out.

Place your cut out onto your t shirt wherever you'd like it to be.  I put him on the back side of my tshirt on the bottom right so he'd sit on my hip.  Don't forget to place a piece of cardboard inside your t shirt so that the paint won't bleed thru to the other side of the shirt.

Now, with a dry iron (heated up to the highest setting for the type of fabric your t shirt is), iron your image down.
The wax side will adhere to the t shirt.  Isn't that neato??

Looking at the original image, I started painting Gir.
The wax will keep the paint from seeping, just be careful as you paint not to lift the edges of the stencil up.
With a blow dryer, you can dry the paint a little quicker than if you let it dry naturally.  But, either way is okay.
Now, peel the wax paper off!
It got dark on me, so I didn't take a pic of peeling off the wax paper.  But, when I did, I noticed my mistake.
Yep, Im human...so human its not even fair sometimes.
Anywho, Gir is grey....so is my shirt.
D'oh! *facepalm*
So, I got out a black Sharpie and outlined him so you could uh...SEE him on the shirt.
As you might be able to see...I ended up adding some highlights and shadows to his metal body so he'd be a little more 3D.  But, it wasn't necessary.  Ain't he just precious??
After the paint dried for 24 hrs. I set it with the iron.  Just follow the directions on your fabric paint.
Here are some more we did.
Meg's Irken logo....again, ask you kids, folks.
Meg and I happen to be cartoon dorks =/

She was ambitious on her first t shirt by using a black shirt (takes a lot of paint to cover the black) and she decided to make kind of a reverse stencil so that her black shirt would be the outline of her image.

And finished!

This is also one I did, probably a good choice for a beginner as its just text.
I *heart* Mumford and Sons.
Don't know them?  Ask your kids!  lol
no, srsly, search for them on Youtube.  They are a West London band, so extremely talented.
I suggest listening to "The Cave" and "Dust Bowl Dance", ohh and "Thistle and Weeds".   I bet you'll love them, too!
Anyway, I couldn't find a shirt with their logo, so I improvised.
Hope you found something to inspire you!  My husband wants an Opus shirt now.  Remember Opus?
I promise I'll post a recipe soon.
I just haven't been feeling well and food doesn't sound good to me yet...blech.

17 comments:

nicóle said...

I've got to try this! What fun!

xo
Nicóle
writespell.com

p.s. I big puffy heart Mumford and Sons!

Christina Hicks said...

I will be trying this as soon as possible! Excellent tutorial. Also, I am halfway through The Cave by Mumford & Sons and I'm already in love. Thanks!

Nanita1966 said...

I LOVE Opus. He is one of my all time favorites. Thank you for posting this tutorial. It's a really great idea and looks like it will be fun and easy for the kids too!

gretchen said...

I've never tried this either...
even though I have no idea who he is, the little Gir is pretty darn cute.

Monica said...

LOVE Mumford & Sons... but they're from West London. :) thanks for the tutorial!

Noshings said...

duuuuuuuuuude, really?
well, I was misinformed then =/
I'll change that, thank you for letting me know! =)

Giana said...

I just stumbled here, and I was so excited to see this post. My hubby and I are HUGE Invader Zim fans. I'm totally making these!!

cpsinger14 said...

I love Mumford and Sons!!!! P.S. Invader Zim is the Shiz. I will definitely be doing this soon.

Mrs. Bacon said...

Love it. Will have to get busy with some of my own designs. New Follower.
http://briarroseartstudio.blogspot.com
Found you via tumblr.

StarSinger said...

How well does it stay up after washing??

Noshings said...

hello StarSinger, thanks for stopping by! I haven't had any problems yet. I always turn the shirts inside out before washing. Make sure you follow the directions on whatever fabric paint you decide to use =)

Danise said...

This is crazy good and I would like to add this to face book also.So if you could go to your dash board and add buttons to be able to do this. Thanks,danise/mistic-majik

Noshings said...

hello Danise, thank you for pointing that out to me, its done!

Leena Grice said...

This is awesome! I'm sure this can be a good present for kids. Your creative side is working perfectly here. Hand painted shirts have that personal touch that are appealing and catchy. =) Leena Grice

Nick Chan Abdullah said...

so, if I just use fabric paint to paint on a tshirt, and blow dry it, or let it dry itself, the next time i wash it the design wont be lost?

Noshings said...

Hi Nick!

It is important to use fabric paint and follow the instructions on the bottle to make it permanent.
Which is usually to iron it after you let it dry for a period of time.
To help with keeping your image safe, launder the garment inside out.

ABC said...

Love the idea! Will use it for my Harry Potter T-Shirt.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails