Monday, December 27, 2010

From Found to Fab - The Victrola Cabinet

While driving to a friend's home this summer, we happened to drive past a house that had a Victrola cabinet sitting out for the trash pickup.
Without thinking...which I do a lot, just ask anyone...I stopped and ran up to the door and knocked.
A nice gentleman answered the door and immediately knew what I was there for.
The desperation on my face must've been obvious.
Well, that and the whimpering and pointing at the cabinet may have tipped him off.

He says to me, "Do you want me to put it back and save it for you?"
I could've hugged him, right then and there.
But, I didn't, I just calmly nodded my head and said Id be back with a truck as soon as possible.

This is what it looked like when we got it.
Maegan sanded it all down and began to prime it.


Then when her dad got home, he broke out the Wagner power painter, we love this thing.
Megs chose a loverly peacock blue.




And here it is all finished and placed back in Megs room against her chartruese and dove gray walls...she likes color.  A lot.  Hope you enjoyed the process.
Please don't get mad that we desecrated an antique...it no longer had the record player in it.  So, it makes a great "stuff " cabinet!

14 comments:

Pin-Feathers said...

It's real purdy and I love the lines of it. Great find!

Laurie and company said...

beautiful! love the love of color.

Kim said...

Ooooh, I love "before" and "after" photos. Great job! Wonderful color choice also.

SocksAndMittens said...

Great find, I would be happy to find something like this, too. Love your new cabinet, congrats!

Kira @ Kissing the Joy said...

Ahhh, that's gorgeous! I adore that color. And I'm slightly green with envy over your paint sprayer. I handpainted a big ole monster of an entertainment center a few months ago and it took me DAYS. I decided I'm never buying another piece of furniture that has to be painted until I have a sprayer. Thanks for sharing!

ckscribbles said...

I love this cabinet so much! I wish i found awesome stuff like that in peoples garbage :(

xo
Christine

Noshings said...

Goodwill can be a great place for some finds, too.
But, I just keep my eyes open on trash day if I happen to be out.
That and you can't be afraid to ask ppl to take their trash lol

Kari --- said...

I have this exact same cabinet, just has slightly curvy doors, otherwise the same! It's been in the family forever.. the veneer has cracked on top, and there's no player inside anymore, and you've given me new hope that it doesn't have to be stowed away in a corner anymore!

Noshings said...

do it, do it, Kari!
Think how beautiful it would be in a warm ivory...*sigh*
if you do, please blog it =)

Sheree Flick Photography said...

I want the camera on top!!

The Crafty Gals said...

I love it, it's a beautiful piece! Even better, you saved it from the trash :)
~Mary
www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

Floppin Flower said...

I love this!! I would have ran to the door whimpering too! (wink) You did a beautiful job!

linda said...

Nice job what you did to it is far better than what happen to my grandmothers. My mom and her sister couldn't agree on what to do to the house and it fell down with furniture in it. Makes me sick

Paula said...

Oh, I love it! I have one waiting on me to refinish and I have been struggling with whether to paint or stain it. Paint it is!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails