Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Recipe and a Field Trip


I would tell you that this is cornbread, but its not.
I would tell you, though, that it is a moist, light corn cake made of stone ground corn meal.
I would also tell you that this piece is history, as of 30 seconds after the photo was taken.

To get the cornmeal, ground on a millstone from a grist mill that is almost 200 years old, we had to go on a little trip.  Wanna see?  Do ya, do ya?

ya, that's her tongue hanging out, she doesn't have a fat lip.
classy.



This is the mill, four stories high and hugamongous!  Especially if you take into consideration that it was built in 1817.  The wheel is about 20 feet in diameter and gets its water from the elevated aquafer that snakes over to the mill from the creek in the hills behind the town.  Too cool, right?


Of course, the mill isn't the only building in the village.  Here are some of the sights.




The tavern/inn complete with barrels, taps and beds upstairs.  Although, I guess people were shorter then, the ceiling was maybe 6 ft. high.



The grist mill office with spooky table.



Apothecary, castor oil included, in case you desperately need a case of explosive diarrhea.



Life must've been rough, Rosie Wedgewood, born and died Feb. 16, 1862. =(



Okay, Im sure you are all bored to tears by now.
I'll add this fluffy, nummy recipe.  Serve with hot soup and some butter and honey, for good measure.

what you'll need:

melt 2 Tbs. butter and pour into an 8 x 8 square pan, set aside and preheat oven to 350*F.

in a large mixing bowl add:
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. stone ground cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar (I like it a touch sweet, you can taste the batter and adjust if you'd like more or less!)
1 Tb. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

whisk to combine then add all at once:
1/3 c. vegetable oil
3 Tbs. melted butter
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. cream or half and half

mix lightly to combine and pour into an 8 x 8 square pan in which you have already poured in the 2 Tbs. melted butter.
bake at 350*F for 35 minutes.
I like to let it cool for a couple minutes before digging in, but it is best served hot!
enjoy my corny friends =)

6 comments:

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Such a cool trip. I love seeing how things are made! That bread (?) looks delicious :)

twobusy said...

Great pictures!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Loved this post. I live near the oldest grist mill in the USA. Kenyon's in RI.

http://www.kenyonsgristmill.com/about_us.html

I have some stone ground corn meal in my cupboard right now. I'll have to try this! Thanks!

Noshings said...

thanks guys =)

Lisa, their Harvest Festival is this weekend, you must go! (and take photos) lol
It looks like so much fun =)

GetLathered said...

Gorgeous pics- I love the character of that old mill.

squirrelbread said...

Gorgeous photos and great recipe. I'm glad I popped over from Tastespotting!

Cheers,

*Heather*

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails