Saturday, October 3, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Scones



Step aside Starbucks.
There's a new scone in town.

What you'll need:

~2 c. flour
~1/3 c. brown sugar, packed tightly
~2 tsp. baking powder
~1/2 tsp. salt
~1 tsp. cinnamon
~1/2 tsp. ginger powder
~1/2 tsp. nutmeg
~1 tsp. orange zest

Mix with a fork and add:

~1/2 c. unsalted butter, (1 stick) frozen and grated with a cheese grater into flour mixture.
You may work the butter in with a pastry blender, but I like the above option better.

~1/2 c. pumpkin puree
~1/2 c. heavy cream

Mix the pumpkin and cream together and pour into flour/butter mixture. Stir to moisten then dump out onto lightly floured board and knead gently a couple times.
Pat into a circle about one inch thick.
Divide into 8 sections like pie wedges and place them onto a baking sheet.

At this point, I like to put the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes to make sure the butter is cold and the gluten is relaxed.
Yes, even gluten gets stressed sometimes.

Bake at 400* for about 25 minutes till just firm and golden around the edges.
Let cool to room temperature.

Icing:

~1 c. powdered sugar
~1/2 tsp. cinnamon
~1/4 tsp. ginger powder
~2 tsp. corn syrup, I'll admit that I didn't measure this, it was more like..."squirt, squirt"
~1 tsp. vanilla
~tiny pinch of salt
~enough heavy cream, adding small amounts at a time and stirring often, to let icing reach the consistency of honey.

~1/2 c. toasted, chopped walnuts

With a large soup spoon, spoon the icing over the cooled scones and sprinkle nuts over the top.
Let the icing set a bit before putting away under some plastic wrap.
I think they are even better after they've sit a bit.

there you go!
You can thank me with flowers or better yet, money is nice too.

8 comments:

Nikki said...

hello!!
i left a comment on the pumpkin scone recipe page on tasty kitchen before i had the chance to make them. just about an hour a go they were finished baking... i made the icing. and waited patiently to try one. approximately 10 seconds ago, i finished my first of many scones. this recipe is amazing!! thank you again for sharing it!! :)

megan said...

Just found your blog through tasty kitchen. wow do these look good. I wasn't completely sold on the idea of making scones until i read all the reviews. Now it's marked in my recipe box and just awaiting the perfect time to try them. :)

France said...

OMG this looks awesomely delicious!!!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Wow! Looks yummy. Thank you for posting the recipe.

Jeremy said...

Of course these are gorgeous...what did you expect? I also love pepitas (toasted punkin' seeds) on top. I will gladly let you make these for me when you come see me in 2 weeks. Muah.

Noshings said...

oh Jeremy, I hope your wife doesn't mind too much that I make you breakfast.
hahahahahahahhahaha

muah, right back atcha!

megan said...

wow these are awesome! I'm so glad I finally got around to trying them. They're so moist and perfectly sweet. And the icing? amazing. Thanks for a great recipe!

Kira Mack said...

I found your recipe through Tasty Kitchen and I linked to it today on my blog. These scones are RIDICULOUSLY good. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I spent some time looking around your blog and love it (especially that header.... who knew the incredible edible egg could be such eye candy?) I subscribed and can't wait to see what other recipes you come up with :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails